One Piece is a manga-based anime series which first aired in 1999, back when anime was still a relatively niche hobby. But now, more than twenty years and 927 episodes later, One Piece has solidified itself as the most popular series to come out of Japan, period. However, for newcomers, this behemoth of anime might seem overwhelming. Lucky for them, there’s an easy way of reducing watch time substantially without missing any key moments of the story. How you might ask? Just skip all of One Piece’s fillers!
What does filler mean in anime?
Fillers are anime-only episodes showing content which never appeared in the manga/light novel. In other words, these are episodes which are not canon.
Filler episodes in anime are mostly used in order to give time to the author/mangaka to produce more content. For example, when an anime based on a manga, reaches on par with it, the anime team have to decide to either go on hiatus or air filler episodes(which are not related to the main plot and cannot affect the story).
Overall, filler episodes are skippable as they usually don’t add anything to the original story.
How many filler episodes are there in One Piece?
As of writing, out of the currently aired 927 episodes, 103 of them are filler. With each episode being around 20 minutes long, that’s a whopping 34 hours of filler which you can easily skip by following our One Piece filler list!
Now, some of these episodes are freestanding, while others form filler arcs. Filler arcs are short side stories comprised of more than one episode.
Which One Piece arcs are filler?
- Warship Island Arc (episodes 54-61) - This is the first story arc in the series which is not based on any content from the manga, which in turn makes it One Piece’s first filler arc. This filler arc has two main plot holes. In it, Zoro can be seen cutting steal, even though he learns this skill much later, in the series, during the “Alabasta Arc”. Also, the crew see dragons in this arc, however, when they see dragons again in the “Punk Hazard Arc” they act like it’s their first time seeing such a creature.
Individual filler episodes in One Piece
There are some filler episodes in One Piece which do not form an arc. These are usually found within cannon arcs or are spin-off single episode side stories. They can be skipped!
This is the full list:
- Episode 50: Usopp vs Daddy The Father! Showdown at High Noon!
- Episode 99: Spirit of the Fakes! Heart of the Rebel Army, Kamyu!
- Episode 102: Ruins and Lost Ways! Vivi, Her Friends, and the Country's Form
- Episode 213: Round 3! Round and Round Roller Race!
- Episode 214: Burning Roller Race! Dash into the Final Round!
- Episode 279: Jump Into the Falls! Luffy's Feelings!!
- Episode 280: A Man's Way of Life! Zoro's Techniques, Usopp's Dream
- Episode 281: A Bond of Friendship Woven by Tears! Nami's World Map!
- Episode 282: Separation Refines a Man! Sanji and Chopper
- Episode 283: All for my Friends' Sake! The Darkness Within Robin!
- Episode 291: Boss Luffy Returns! A Dream or Reality Lottery Trouble
- Episode 292: The Great Mochimaki Race to the Castle! Conspiracy of the Red Nose
- Episode 303: The Criminal is Boss Luffy? Chase the Vanished Great Sakura Tree
- Episode 317: The Girl Searching for the Yagara! Great Investigation in the Water Metropolis!
- Episode 318: The Mother is Strong! Zoro's Slapstick Housework Help
- Episode 336: Sanji Crashes! The Mysterious Old Man and Intense Cooking
- Episode 406: Special Historical Arc - Boss Luffy Appears Again
- Episode 407: Special Historical Arc - Destroy! Thriller Company's Trap
- Episode 457: Special Retrospective Before Marineford - The Siblings' Vow!
- Episode 458: Special Retrospective Before Marineford - Assemble! The Three Admirals
- Episode 492: The Strongest Tag-Team! Luffy and Toriko's Hard Struggle!
- Episode 499: The Battle Against the Big Tiger! Who Will Be the Captain!
- Episode 542: Team Formation! Save Chopper
- Episode 590: History's Strongest Collaboration vs. Glutton of the Sea
- Episode 907: 20th Anniversary! Special Romance Dawn